When the phone rings, what is your first response?
- Darn, I'm in the middle of something!
- Arrggh, what now?
- Hmm, I wonder what they need and how I can help?
I hope you chose number 3, 'cause what you say to yourself sets the tone for the interaction.
This week, each time the phone rings:
- Stop what you are doing (people over tasks)
- Choose to think something positive
- Then greet that caller as a guest.
At the end of the day, take a moment to reflect on your calls and notice how much better your interactions unfolded.