Which of the following are good reasons to pause before you respond?
1. To give you a chance to gather your thoughts
2. To give you time to choose a better mindset
3. To stop you from interrupting
4. To ensure you understand the underlying concern
5. ‘Cause you get paid by the hour, might as well take your time!
If you answered yes to all (except #5) you are correct!
Taking time to pause can help save time in the long run, as you will understand the customer’s needs better and diffuse angry callers. There is real power in that pause!
Next time a customer (or colleague) is complaining or venting, take a deep breath and choose to respond, rather than react.