Last week’s note was about a strong finish and part of that is the question; “is there anything else I can do for you today”.
When I ask customer service professionals why they don’t ask this consistently I’m told
- “They might say yes!”
- “They hang up before I get to ask”
- “I forget”
- Customers ask me for strange things, like free stuff when I ask”
Here are some thoughts about those responses.
1. If they say Yes. Isn’t it easier just to answer the question while you have their account open on your screen?
2. If they hang up first. Then they miss out on your assistance. What’s in your control is offering.
3. If you forget. Try a post-it note reminder beside your phone or computer. Just write, “Is there anything else I can do for you?” And read it to the customer every time you wrap up. It will become your new habit soon enough.
4. They ask for something strange. This is a great sign! When I worked in hotels and asked this question, they would say, “ya sure, free hotel rooms for a year!” that meant they felt comfortable enough to joke with me. It’s a sign of good rapport. So congratulations!
Tip: The words don’t have to be exactly “is there anything else I can do for you today”. Find a version that works for you. Perhaps, “do you have any questions for me?” “How else can I help you today?”
Is there anything else I can do for you today?